On this page you’ll find publications we’ve produced during our second decade (2012 onwards). You can find details of our current projects in the activities section of our website.
Recent projects & publications:
- Connecting Cranes with Communities – How can the WMCA create Inclusive Growth. A report and recommendations based on consultation with Civil Society.
Downloads Executive Summary // Main Report // Appendices // Large Print
- Research into how social care can be a driver for inclusive prosperity in the West Midlands economy, with policy recommendations for the new Combined Authority.
- Exploring with others the potential for a Birmingham Pound. This work has given rise to the Credex Network.
- Working with the Centre for Local Economic Strategies and Birmingham City Council on their project to maximise community wealth through anchor institutions.
- Reflections on Community Forum – an evaluation of the 1970s community engagement initiative Community Forum including lessons for current times.
- A feasibility study into renewable energy at a Birmingham allotment site.
- Acting as an advisor on the Community Economic Development (CED) programme – a DCLG programme piloting CED plans with 50 communities.
- A partner in a Birmingham City University project to design a board game to help with participation in planning and similar processes. The finished game is Participology.
- Evaluating the cumulative impact of flooding on the local economy in Calderdale – for Calderdale Council.
- TABLES project on integrating the ecosystems services approach into tools to improve decision-making – with Birmingham City University & partners (external link)
Energy, fuel poverty & housing retrofit
- How can the Green Deal support local economies? Policy lessons from Birmingham Energy Savers. 2014
- New policy briefing on the Green Deal: lessons from Birmingham Energy Savers. 2014
- An evaluation of Northfield Warm Homes project – with wider lessons for the fuel poverty agenda.
- Instigating Birmingham Energy Savers, and West Midlands Green New Deal
- Evaluating the effectiveness of green energy equipment for Birmingham City Council; and some work on feasibility of community hydro schemes in the city.
- Solving fuel poverty: opportunities from Green Deal & Localisation
- Green Deal Opportunities for Social Enterprise
- Support for communities – Low Carbon Economy Programme
- Report on good practice in regeneration through NHS hospitals – maximising local value through development, operation, commissioning and procurement. Oct 2015
- Discussion on food security, food poverty and health, held in May 2014.
- Case study: Evergreen Cooperatives – August 2013
- Participated in Birmingham’s Social Inclusion Process.
- Managing environmental change in the rural urban fringe – research project with Birmingham City University & partners
- Birmingham Mayor referendum factsheet – produced before the referendum with Birmingham Press.
- A Regionalised Prosperity and Inflation Framework
For projects further back, please take a look at our archive of past activities and projects.
Thanks to our volunteer Natalie Moreland for our LWM 10th anniversary timeline poster (2012).